Versatile Features, No Gimmicks
Threema is easy to use, provides versatile features, and deliberately avoids useless gimmicks.
Text and Voice Messages
Quickly and conveniently send text messages. If you don’t have the time to type, voice messages come in handy.
Groups and Distribution Lists
Groups and distribution lists allow to send messages to multiple recipients at once. Groups are managed in a strictly decentralized manner. Except the group members themselves, no one - not even Threema – knows who is member of a group.Mehr erfahren
Threema Web: Conveniently Chat from the Desktop
Thanks to Threema Web, chatting from the desktop is just as secure as using the Threema app on your phone. You have full access to your entire chat history as well as all contacts and media files. Threema Web is open source.Learn more Open Threema Web
Images and Videos
Share Files, Media, and Locations
Use Threema to send any type of file. Just like text messages, files are end-to-end encrypted, of course.
Crystal-Clear Voice Calls
Make voice calls without revealing your phone number. Threema calls are end-to-end encrypted and thus tap-proof, and they impress with brilliant voice quality.Learn more
Hide particularly sensitive chats, and lock them with a PIN or your fingerprint.
Use the agree/disagree feature to communicate without triggering a push notification on the recipient’s end.
Light and Dark Theme
Select the theme of your liking: light or dark.
Optimized for Tablets
Use Threema on tablets and devices without a SIM card.
Make your text messages stand out by adding typographical emphasis: *bold*, _italic_, and ~
Verify contacts using their QR code to protect yourself against man-in-the-middle attacks.
Chat completely anonymously. There is no need to provide a phone number.
Quote text messages to unambiguously reference what was said earlier.
Optional Contact Synchronization
It’s up to you whether you want to enable contact synchronization or not. No address-book access is required.
Threema offers the following basic features for both single chats and group chats:
- Send text and voice messages
- Make voice calls
- Share photos, videos, animated GIFs, and locations
- Send files of any type
- Use Threema on the Desktop
- Create polls
- Silently agree or disagree to received messages
- Hide confidential chats and password-protect them with a PIN or your
- Use Threema Safe to anonymously backup your most important Threema data
- Choose between dark and light theme
- Use Threema on tablets and devices without SIM card
- Verify your contacts via QR Code
- Add text formatting to messages
- Create distribution lists*
- Chat completely anonymously – no phone number required
- Contact sync is optional
- Quote text messages
- Pin chats
*) Currently only available in Threema for Android.
To test the features, you can use the ECHOECHO contact.
Threema also supports
tablets and smartwatches.
Threema allows to create a poll right inside a chat. No need to write back and forth when considering several options – initiate a poll with a few taps, and get a useful overview of the received votes.
- Android: In a chat, tap the paperclip icon, and select “Poll”.
- iOS: In a chat, tap the plus sign next to the text-input field, and select “Create Poll”.
Check out the promo video.
- In a single chat, tap and hold on a received message to invoke the context menu.
- To agree or disagree with the selected message, tap “agree / thumbs up” or “disagree / thumbs down”, respectively.
On Android, set a PIN or enable Android’s Lock Screen (Android 6.0 and above) in Threema’s security settings. On iOS, Private Chats are currently not available.
To mark a chat as private, long-tap on the chat, and select “Hide chat”. When attempting to access the chat, you will be prompted to enter your PIN.
To hide all private chats, tap on the menu icon in the chat list, and choose “Hide private chats”. To show all hidden chats, choose “Show hidden chats” in the chat list’s menu, and enter the PIN.
This FAQ article covers the QR code that can be displayed in the app (and is used to confirm a contact’s identity and add their Threema ID at the same time; green verification level), not to be confused with the QR code on threema.id websites (which can only be used to add contacts; red verification level).
Scanning QR codes is a means for confirming contacts' identities. That way, man-in-the-middle attacks can be effectively prevented: If you receive a message of a confirmed contact (i.e., verification level 3), you can be sure that it wasn't spoofed or read by a third party (provided said contact's device wasn't stolen or hacked). On top of that, scanning someone's QR code is a convenient way of adding them to your contact list without having to manually enter their ID.
Display your own QR code
- Android: Navigate to the “My Profile” tab, and tap on the QR code icon
- iOS: Navigate to the “My Profile” tab, and tap on the QR code
Scan a contact’s QR code
- Android: In the Contacts tab, tap the “New contact” button, and select “Scan ID”
- iOS: Threema > My ID > camera icon in the top right corner
If you are having trouble scanning a QR code, please make sure the camera is not too close (below 10 in/25 cm), which might prevent it from focussing.
To save a chat outside of Threema, you can export it as encrypted ZIP archive (which will contain the chat as text
file and, optionally, all media files). Please note that exported chats cannot be imported into Threema again; to
transfer your chats to another device (or to restore them later on the current device), use a data backup.
- Android: In the chat list, tap and hold a chat, and then tap the “Share” button. You can save or send the chat as an encrypted ZIP file using your installed apps.
- iOS: In a contact’s or a chat’s detail view, tap “Export Conversation”. Please note that the chat export cannot exceed a file size of 100 MB. If necessary, old media files will be skipped at a certain point.
Use Threema to send files of any type (PDF, animated GIF, MP3, DOC, ZIP, etc.). Just like all other messages, files are end-to-end encrypted. The maximum file size is 50 MB (it might, however, not be possible to send large files on older devices due to insufficient memory). To avoid compression of an image or video, you can send it as file. Please note: If you send an image as file, its EXIF tags (possibly containing information such as the date and location the image was taken) are preserved.
Android: In a chat, tap on the paperclip icon, and select
iOS: In a chat, tap on the “+”, and select “Share File”. Due to restrictions of iOS
regarding the file system, you can only access content of apps that support file sharing.
Threema is available in a light and a dark theme. You can switch between the two themes here:
Settings > Appearance > Design theme
To quote a text message, tap and hold it until the context menu appears. There, tap the quotation mark icon, and the quoted message will show up above the text input field. (On Android, you can also swipe right to quote a message.) You can then compose and send your message like you usually would. In the chat, the quoted message is indented and prepended to your new message so that it’s evident what you are referring to.
It’s not possible to set up a Threema ID on multiple devices at the same time. You can, however, use Threema Web to connect to the device on which your Threema ID is set up.
The only way to use Threema simultaneously on multiple devices is to set up different Threema IDs on each device and create groups containing those IDs as well as the desired chat partner’s ID. Learn more…
If there are unresolved issues in a chat, you can use the “pin” feature to create a visual reminder. Pinned chats always stay on top of the chat list and are marked with a yellow bar. On Android, there is also a pin icon displayed:
- Android/iOS: In the chat overview, swipe from left to right on a chat to (un)pin it
- Threema Web: Open the desired chat, and tap the pin icon in the top right corner to (un)pin it
Chats can only be archived in Threema for Android at the moment.
In the chat overview, swipe from right to left on a chat to archive it. The chat will be removed from the chat overview, but not deleted.
To access your archived chats, scroll to the end of the chat overview, and tap the “X archived chats” button.
In order to move an archived chat from the archive back to the chat overview, tap and hold the chat until the action icons appear in the title bar. There, tap the icon next to the trash-bin icon.