I got a new phone – how do I transfer my data?
- Create an ID backup on your previous device: Tap on “My ID”, then on “Backup” and activate the option “Include in phone backup” at the end of the backup process.
- Create an encrypted iTunes backup. You can find the respective instructions on this Apple support page.
- Restore Threema on your new device from your iTunes backup by restoring the iTunes backup of your previous device. Now you can resume using Threema as usual.
- Create a data backup on your old device: Navigate to “Settings” and select “Backup”.
- Tap on “Create Threema data backup” (this will replace any previous backup). Your data is now saved to OneDrive.
- It is recommended that your device is plugged in and connected to a WiFi network during backup. Otherwise, the following limitations apply: Without WiFi connection, no more than 5 MB can be transferred. Without external power supply, no more than 20 MB can be transferred to OneDrive. (With both a WiFi connection and external power supply, the backup size is limited to 100 MB).
- Install Threema on your new device and launch it. Tap on “or tap here to use an already existing backup”.
- First, restore your ID backup. Then, tap on “Recover from OneDrive” and enter your password. Your Threema data is now being restored. Please be patient.
- It is recommended that your device is plugged in and connected to a WiFi network during the restore process.
Other useful topics