A data backup allows you to move your chats, groups and contacts (including their verification level) to your new or reset phone. Moving data backups between devices is only possible within the same operating system. If you switch the OS (e.g., from iOS to Android), you can transfer your ID, contacts, groups, and privacy settings using Threema Safe. And you can always export chats.
- Create a data backup on your previous phone: In the main menu, select “Backups”, navigate to the “Data Backup” tab, and tap the “+” button in the lower right.
- Activate the option “include media files”.
- After choosing your password, Threema creates a backup and stores it in the folder Threema/Backups on your phone. This backup contains media files, contacts, chats, groups and your ID.
- Move the backup file to your new phone (by using a computer for instance).
- Start Threema on your new phone. In the setup wizard, tap on “Restore from Backup”, tap on “Other restore options”, and then select “Data backup”.
- Select your previously created backup and tap on “Restore”. After entering the valid password, your backup will be restored. Depending on its size, this can take several minutes.
- Create an ID export on your previous device: Tap on “My ID”, then select “ID export”, and activate the option “Include in phone backup” after exporting your ID. Make sure to store this password in a safe place; without it, you won’t be able to restore the exported ID.
- Create an encrypted iTunes backup of your old device.
- Restore the iTunes backup of your old device on your new device.
- When starting Threema for the first time, tap on “Restore from Backup”, select “Keep local data”, and tap “ID Export”. The ID-export string is prepopulated. What’s left to do for you is to enter the ID export’s password and to confirm by tapping “Done”.
- Create a data backup on your old device: Navigate to “Settings” and select “Backup”.
- Tap on “Create Threema data backup”.
- Install Threema on your new device and launch it. Tap on “or tap here to use an already existing backup”.
- Select the backup file, and enter your password. Your Threema data is now being restored. Please be patient.