- Is there a group chat feature?
- How can I leave or delete a group?
- Can members be added to/deleted from an existing group?
- Trouble with group chats — What can I do?
- Why are my groups missing after importing an exported ID?
- Can administrator privileges be transferred or granted to multiple users?
- How do I mention a member of a group?
- How can I adjust the notification settings for group chats?
Can administrator privileges be transferred or granted to multiple users?
Like single chats, group chats are end-to-end encrypted in Threema. For privacy reasons, groups are managed in a
decentralized manner on users’ devices, not on a server. Neither is it possible to transfer administrator
privileges, nor can administrator privileges be granted to multiple users.
If a group’s administrator leaves the group, a new group must be created. However, groups can be cloned. If a group member clones a group, they become administrator of a new group consisting of the same members as the original group. The chat history is not transferred to the new group.
- Android: Tap the title bar in the group chat, then tap the three vertical dots, and select “Clone group”.
- iOS: In the group chat, tap on the title bar, and then tap on the bar that appears underneath it (containing
tokens of the group members). Finally, tap on “Clone group” at the end of the member list.