What are Threema calls?
Threema calls impress with crystal-clear voice quality and brilliant video quality. Since they are end-to-end encrypted, they are tap-proof. Instead of a phone number, the Threema ID serves as unique identifier.
- The call connection is established using Threema messages in the background; therefore, voice calls are just as trustworthy as chats, and the same verification levels apply
- If possible, a direct connection between caller and callee is established (peer to peer) after the connection buildup
verification level 1 (red) IDs are routed through the Threema server in order to obscure the IP address (in “Settings > Threema Calls,” there’s an option to route all calls through the Threema
- Because a constant bit rate is used for audio encoding, no conclusions about the content can be drawn from the size of the transmitted data packets
- Video transmission is an option of Threema calls that can be enabled at any time during an ongoing call. Once a Threema call is established, both parties can independently enable and disable video transmission by tapping the camera icon.
- Thanks to Threema’s contact verification, Man-in-the-Middle attacks can be effectively prevented, and there’s no need to manually verify a code for the purpose of authentication
For detailed technical information in regard to Threema calls’ security, please refer to the Cryptography Whitepaper.
To place a Threema call, the following system requirements must be met by both the caller’s and the callee’s device:
- Voice calls: Threema 4.22 for Android or above on Android 4.1 or above
- Video calls: Threema 4.4 for Android or above on Android 4.4 or above
- To receive calls when Threema is in the background, Google Play Services are required.
- iPhone: Threema 3.0 for iOS or above (voice calls) or Threema 4.6 for iOS or above (video calls) on an iPhone 5s or above running on iOS 10 or above
- iPad: Threema 3.0 for iOS or above (voice calls) or Threema 4.6 for iOS or above (video calls) on an iPad Pro, an iPad Air, a 5th-generation iPad or above, or a 2nd-generation iPad Mini 2 or above running on iOS 10 or above
- iPod touch: Threema 3.0 for iOS or above (voice calls) or Threema 4.6 for iOS or above (video calls) on a 6th-generation iPod touch or later running on iOS 10 or above