- What features does Threema offer?
- How do I create a poll?
- How do I use the agree/disagree feature?
- What are Private Chats and how can I use them?
- How do I add text formatting to a message?
- What is the QR code good for?
- Can I use Threema without a SIM card?
- How can I export a chat?
- How can I send a file?
- How can I change the design theme?
- How do I quote a text message?
- Can I use Threema on multiple devices simultaneously?
- What is the “pin” feature good for?
- How do I archive chats?
- How can I share my location?
What is the QR code good for?
This FAQ article covers the QR code that can be displayed in the app (and is used to confirm a contact’s identity and add their Threema ID at the same time; green verification level), not to be confused with the QR code on threema.id websites (which can only be used to add contacts; red verification level).
Scanning QR codes is a means for confirming contacts' identities. That way, man-in-the-middle attacks can be effectively prevented: If you receive a message of a confirmed contact (i.e., verification level 3), you can be sure that it wasn't spoofed or read by a third party (provided said contact's device wasn't stolen or hacked). On top of that, scanning someone's QR code is a convenient way of adding them to your contact list without having to manually enter their ID.
Display your own QR code
- Android: Navigate to the “My Profile” tab, and tap on the QR code icon
- iOS: Navigate to the “My Profile” tab, and tap on the QR code
Scan a contact’s QR code
- Android: In the Contacts tab, tap the “New contact” button, and select “Scan ID”
- iOS: Threema > My ID > camera icon in the top right corner
If you are having trouble scanning a QR code, please make sure the camera is not too close (below 10 in/25 cm), which might prevent it from focussing.