Instant messaging in corporate environments
Instant messaging is an immediate and effortless means for information exchange, and it has become an integral part of today’s business communication. Instant messaging simplifies communication, improves collaboration, expedites workflows, and increases productivity. It is the most popular communication tool.
Risks of conventional chat solutions
Many of the apps that are used for business purposes don’t meet legal data-privacy requirements. Often used under the radar as “shadow IT”, messengers like WhatsApp pose several risks:
- Unrestricted access to user data (such as contacts, metadata, locations, etc.) must be granted
- Third parties can gain access to this data
- The encryption used in them is not verifiable
- There is no means for administration and user management
- Legal requirements are not met
- There is no strict separation between personal and professional communication
The legal requirements for chat services have tightened once again with the introduction of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). High time to take appropriate measures.