- Security and privacy by design
- Legal compliance
- Data-processing agreement
- Archiving chats
- Retrieving stored user data
Security and privacy by design
Threema is trusted by millions and known for its unparalleled security and privacy protection. No other messenger offers a comparable level of security, metadata restraint, and confidentiality.
- Top-grade end-to-end encryption of the entire communication.
- Strong encryption on users’ devices: Chats and messages are stored with strong encryption on the device.
- Decentralized handling: No central storage of personal data.
- Company-owned hardware in Switzerland: Threema GmbH runs its own servers in data centers of an ISO 27001-certified collocation partner.
Details about the encryption, key-pair management, physical data security, data protection laws, and other security advantages of our decentralized architecture are summarized in the Security and Privacy Reference Sheet.
The Threema Work apps are open source, and the Cryptography Whitepaper contains comprehensive information about Threema’s technical architecture. Furthermore, external experts audit Threema on a regular basis.