- Why do I only receive messages once I open the app?
- Which Android version is required?
- Which permissions are used under Android, and for what purpose?
- Can I buy/use Threema without a Google account?
- Why does the synchronization not work anymore after rebooting my phone?
- How can I reinstall the app without any loss of data?
- Why can’t I update the app in the Google Play Store?
- Why do I keep getting asked for the Passphrase of the Master Key?
- What does the message “Master key is unlocked” mean?
- How can I save (media) files?
- What are distribution lists?
- What is notification priority?
- What are notification channels?
- How can I customize ringtones and notification sounds?
- Xiaomi: Why is no popup displayed and no sound emitted when new messages arrive?
- What happened to “Android Backup”?
- What happened to the camera’s features?
Problems with push notifications: General troubleshooting
If you have completed the device-specific troubleshooting steps and problems with push notifications persist (or if there are no troubleshooting steps specific to your device), please proceed as follows:
- Restart device: First, reboot your phone.
- Check connectivity: Make sure that your device is connected to the Internet.
- Review app notification: In “Android settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Threema > Notifications > please activate “Show notifications”.
- Disable “restrict background data”: First, navigate to “Android settings > Apps & Notification > See all apps > Threema > Mobile data & Wi-Fi” and make sure that “Background data” and “Unrestricted data usage” are both activated. Repeat this process with “Google Play services”.
- Deactivate Android’s Battery Saver mode or add Threema to exclusion list: Turn off your device’s Battery Saver mode, or add Threema to the exclusion list: In Android settings, navigate to “Apps & Notifcations > See all apps > Threema > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimisation”, scroll to “Threema”, and select “Don’t optimize”.
- Reset notification sound settings: In Threema, navigate to Settings > About Threema > Troubleshooting
> Reset, and select “Reset notification sound settings”.
- Reset push token: If the issue persists after you have completed all steps listed above, please reset the push token in Threema “Settings > About Threema > Troubleshooting > Reset push token”.
- Update Google Play services: Make sure that you are using the most recent version of Google Play
Please also note:
- Force-quitting Threema: If you quit Threema in “Android Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all apps > Threema” by selecting “Force stop”, you won’t receive push notifications until you reopen the app.
- Third-party applications: System-optimization apps by third-party developers can interfere with Threema.
If you use anti-virus, battery-saver or similar apps, please temporarily deactivate them for testing purposes,
or add Threema to the apps’ exclusion lists.
- Muted chats: If you don’t receive notifications of incoming messages from a specific contact or group,
select “Notification settings” in the chat’s menu, and make sure that “Disable notifications” is
- Delays on Android 6 and above: On Android 6 and later, push notifications will be delayed by a few
minutes if your device is stationary for a certain amount of time. This is due to Android’s Doze Mode, which
significantly reduces power consumption during standby.
- Polling: If Polling is activated in Threema > Settings > About Threema > Troubleshooting,
notifications of incoming messages will be delayed (depending on the selected interval).
Should the problem persist after you have considered all suggestions listed here, please contact the
manufacturer of your device.