- What does the name “Threema” stand for?
- What makes Threema special?
- What is a Threema ID?
- On which operating systems and devices can I use Threema?
- Is Threema available in my language?
- Is Threema suitable for business use?
- Are there special offers for educational institutions and NGOs?
- Does Threema use renewable energy?
- Why isn’t Threema free of charge?
Why isn’t Threema free of charge?
The development of the Threema apps and the maintenance of the server infrastructure generates costs. The app price covers these costs.
If we wanted to offer our apps for free, we would have to monetize user data, which, of course, would totally undermine Threema’s purpose (i.e., to protect the users’ data and privacy). Besides, Threema is designed from the ground up to only generate as little user data as technically possible, so there’s next to no user data to begin with.