Is there an age restriction for Threema?
There is no age restriction, and it’s generally safe to use Threema at any age.
EU users who are under 16 years of age are required by law to obtain parental consent if they wish to link a phone number and/or email address with their Threema ID. (If Threema is used anonymously, no parental consent is required.)
The app’s rating in the Google Play Store is determined by the International Age Rating Coalition (IARC).
There is a price plan available for public educational institutions: Threema Education
Show your friends and family members how easy and convenient secure communication and privacy protection can be. Give away Threema to your loved ones in a few simple steps:
- Purchase one or more licenses in the Threema shop (there’s no way to give away apps in Google Play)
- After succesful payment, you will receive an email containing the license key(s)
- Distribute the license to your presentee(s), e.g., via email
- Gift recipients can redeem the licenses here
- (New versions of the app can be automatically updated using the “About Threema” screen)
On an iOS device (iPhone or iPad):
- Look up Threema in the App Store
- Tap the Share button
- In the Share Sheet that appears, tap “Gift App,” and follow the on-screen instructions
For more detailed instructions, please refer to Apple’s guide.
Moving to a Different Operating System
Since the different app stores (Apple App Store, Google Play, and Huawei AppGallery) don’t share their license data, Threema has to be purchased again when switching to a different platform.
Important data, such as your Threema ID and your contacts, can be transferred using Threema Safe. Threema Safe backups do not include chats, media files, and profile pictures of contacts and groups.
Reinstalling Threema on the Same Operating System
Purchase via App Store, Google Play, or Huawei AppGallery
After resetting your phone or switching to a new phone, it may be necessary to reinstall Threema. The App Store (iOS) as well as Google Play and the Huawei AppGallery (Android) allow to reinstall any purchased app at no additional cost. The only requirement is that you use the same store account (i.e., the same Apple ID or Google account, etc.) you used for the initial purchase. The store then will display an “Install” button instead of a “Buy” button. In case you still see a “Buy” button in the Google Play Store, please follow these instructions.
Purchase via Threema Shop or download via F-Droid
If you have purchased the Android version in our store or downloaded it via the F-Droid app store, you can download and then reinstall it with the same license key. If you have lost your license key, you can retrieve it. Please note: Threema versions from the Google Play Store are not unlocked using a license key, and you can’t retrieve a license for a Google Play Store version. Because Google Play’s and the Threema Shop’s terms are not identical, licences can’t be transferred between the two sales platforms.
Read here how to move your ID to a new phone.
Paid apps are sold by different providers (Apple and Google). These providers don’t share license data. Hence, it is impossible to move licenses from one platform to another. For this reason, the app has to be purchased again for the new operating system when switching from one platform to another.
Use Threema Safe to transfer your most important Threema data to the new OS.
- Google Play: For most Android users, this is the best (i.e., most straightforward) way to get Threema.
- Threema Shop: If you would like to download Threema without a Google account and/or if you would like to pay anonymously with Bitcoin, the Threema Shop is for you.
- F-Droid: Via this alternative app store, you can download Threema Libre, a Threema version that is completely free of propietary dependencies (i.e., 100% open source). To use the app, a Threema Shop license is required, and you need to have the F-Droid client installed on your device.
- Huawei AppGallery: In case you use a Huawei device that’s not equipped with Google Services, download Threema from the Huawei AppGallery.
iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch)
Download Threema from the Apple App Store.
To learn more about the current version’s changes and improvements, read the change log.
If you would like to give away Threema as a present to friends or family members, please refer to this guide.
If you would like to use Threema in your organization, please turn to Threema Work, which was specifically designed for this purpose and can be distributed to any number of users without effort.
Schools may use Threema Education, while nonprofit organizations benefit from a special offer.
If you purchase the Threema app from the Threema Shop, you may have to adjust your device’s security settings in order to install and/or update the app.
Android 8 and Newer
- If the dialog “For security reasons, you cannot install unknown apps from this source on your smartphone” is displayed after downloading the APK file from the Threema Shop, tap on “Settings,” and activate “Trust this source.”
Android 7 and Older
- Activate “Unknown sources” in your device’s security settings.
- It is recommended to deactivate “Unknown sources” once you have installed Threema.