Sending / Receiving
- What do the symbols next to a message mean?
- Why do messages to certain contacts not appear as read?
- How can I tell whether the app is connected to the server?
- Why are incoming messages sometimes delayed or only arrive once I open the app?
- How can I send emojis?
- Why don't previews in push notifications work properly?
- Why doesn’t my chat partner receive my messages?
- How can I make sure this is working when I don't know anybody who has installed it yet?
- How long do messages stay in queue for delivery?
- I am receiving unwanted messages. What can I do?
- Why can't I send a video?
- How can I mute individual chats?
- What does it cost to send a message?
- Which ports need to be open on my network?
What do the symbols next to a message mean?
- Message sending
The message is being sent to the server. If this status lasts for more than a few seconds, there might be a connection problem. In this case, the message will stay in queue and will be sent as soon as the connection is up again (on iOS, only when the app is open).
- Message sent
The message was successfully delivered to the server, and a push notification was sent to the recipient if necessary.
- Message delivered
The message was successfully delivered to the recipient's device; it has not yet been opened by the recipient, but a push notification was displayed. If the recipient has disabled read receipts, this status is permanent and persists even if the message was read.
- Message read
The message has been read by the recipient. If the recipient has disabled read receipts, this status will not be returned.
- Voice message played (Android)
You, the recipient, have played this voice message. On the sender’s end, the “message read” status (or, if read receipts are disabled, the “message delivered” status) is displayed regardless of whether the recipient has played a voice message or not.
- Sending failed
The message could not be sent. This can happen, for example, when the network connection is interrupted during a file transfer. On iOS, tap and hold the message and select “Try again.”
- / User
The recipient agrees/disagrees with your message. (Learn more about the agree/disagree feature here.)
Other useful topics